Sunday, August 22, 2010

Wonderful Weekend = Making Memories

I am in awe of how a simple day can turn into one of my favorite memories.  This past weekend was a bunch of ordinary moments shared with family who have become friends and because of this fact I am sure they will be some of my, and Joey's, favorite memories.

On Friday Larry had the day off as a special way to recognize and reward him for all his hard work at Delta Dental.  We had planned to get up early and head down to the Marin Headlands for some beach time but as the old saying goes "We make plans and God laughs".  I just had no energy.  I kept lollygaggin' and Larry slept in some and before we knew it the clock showed Noon.  We decided to stay local and went out to lunch at Rubio's which is one of my favorites, but then again I don't think I've ever met a Mexican restaurant that I haven't liked.  After we had made complete pigs of ourselves we headed to down town Sacramento to have some fun at Funderland, a kiddy museum.  I had prepurchased all-ride tickets at 60% off some time before so this outing would practically cost us nil.

Joey got so excited when he realized where we were going and started to rattle off the list of rides he wanted to go on and in what order.  He started with the planes, and had to ride twice, then we all went on this circular coaster, and of course we had to go twice.  He and Daddy rode the Dragon coaster next, only once around on that, and Joey didn't look like he was liking it much at all but Larry had a huge smile on his face.  He dreams of the day that he and Joey can go ride the big coasters at Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm.  I hope he doesn't end up being disappointed if Joey's enthusiasm for today's roller coaster was any indication.  Then Joey rode the Octopus ride and we all loaded up for a ride around the park on the small train.  And boy is it small - I thought Larry and I getting on and off it was going to flip that tiny sucker right over.  After our ride we went on the teacups, all three of us in one and Larry proceeded to spin us so fast I thought I was going to lose all that lovely Mexican food.  Next time I think I'll make him go in his own teacup while Joey and I spin at a more reasonable pace.

Wanting to let my food settle back down I suggested the boys take a ride on the log flume by themselves while I found a bathroom and then got a sprite for us all to share.  Of course I had to get a cotton candy too.  Who would believe that any child of mine would not just love cotton candy as much as him Momma, but mine doesn't.  I think he doesn't like it because it sticks to your fingers.  Oh well, more for me (and yes I did go back for a second one before we left the park for the day).

Larry and I each took turns riding the antique cars with Joey.  He just loves to be the one to "drive" the car and get to turn the steering wheels this way and that.  His smile went from ear to ear.  We decided to end our day on that high note, but then Joey begged to be allowed to go on the planes just one more time.  One turned in to two, two into three and then we began to notice that he was no longer really flying his plane but had begun to nod off.  I guess it really was time to head home.

On the way out we went buy the horse corral and let Joey pick a pony to ride - he chose Rocky.  Daddy walked him along the circular paddock, shaded by towering trees, the sunlight catching the red highlights in Joey's hair.  It made my heart happy to watch my two boys engaging in an age old pastime.  I asked him if he wanted to go around one more time and of course he said yes so this time I took him.  We walked a while, and trotted some, but Joey preferred just amblin' along.

The whole day couldn't have been a better memory in the making.

The next day we met up with Larry's family at the lake and had another wonderful outing.  We all just brought a little of this and a little of that to share and had ourselves a nice little picnic on the hillside overlooking the lake.  Then we took Joey and Elsa down to the lake to play.  They are both such water babies.  Before I knew it, Kelli, Dad, and I had all joined them in the water even though we were fully clothed.  The water was the perfect temperature and so clear.  We swam out to the float and taught the kids how to climb up the ladder and jump off into our arms.  So long as you stayed mostly under the water it was perfect, but once you stood up and felt the cool breeze blowing across your skin you'd start to shake.  Joey and Elsa played so hard in the water, splashing each other and chasing Mary along the shore line trying to push her in.  When Joe's shivers got to be to much we decided enough water was had by all and headed back up the hill to dry off.

I had brought kiddy versions of horseshoes and lawn croquet, as well as some bocce balls, and the kids had fun playing with them all even not if meant in the order they should be played.  It amazes me how kids this young can be so competitive with one another, trying to throw the farthest or collecting the most balls.

We all had some more snacks and then decided it was time for a nap so we all packed up the gear and headed for home - or almost.  I was the last one to take leave of the park and wouldn't you know it my key would not turn in the ignition.  I tried everything, turning the wheel, pushing on the brake but to no avail.  Luckily for me there were other folks around and one gentleman was nice enough to let me use his phone to call Dad to come to the rescue.  He couldn't get it to start either, but at least we had a way to get home.  This morning Larry went over, sprayed a little WD40 in the ignition, tapped it a couple of times will a ball ping hammer and voila it worked.

All in all, the day was so nice that even if we'd had to walk home it wouldn't have put a real damper on it for me.  I just love making memories with my family.  I'll post photo's as soon as I get copies from Dad.

No comments: