Friday, September 3, 2010

Ahhh The Joys of Childhood

I baked a cake last week for the family, chocolate with chocolate frosting.  And yes before you ask, I did get distracted and burnt the edges.  Mom and Larry said it was fine, but I could taste the burnt after effects.  Having said that, it still didn't go to waste as Mom, Larry and Joey still loved it.

Anyway Joey got to help me mix the batter and pour it in the pan.  Then once I put it in the oven to bake, he kept coming back to me every few minutes, "Is it done yet, mom?".  He must have did this 20 times... I guess I should have listened to him and maybe my cake wouldn't have burnt.

When I took it out he was anxious to frost it right away and I had to explain to him that it had to cool before we could frost it.  He didn't understand and kept asking why.  Why and No are his two favorite words these days.  Even when you answer his why question, he just proceeds to ask why to whatever answer you gave him and this can go on and on until finally, exasperated, I'll end up saying "because mommy said so".  I'm always so disappointed in myself when I hear that come out of my mouth.

Finally the cake was cool enough and Joey and I opened the can of chocolate fudge frosting and began spreading it on the cake.  Joey is getting good at spreading as he's begun helping to make his own sandwiches at lunch and loves spreading the peanut butter, jelly, mayonaisse, etc.  When we'd cover the cake completely I scooped the rest of the frosting out with the spatular and let him have at it.  He loved it.  I loved watching him.  Before he was done he had frosting all over his mouth and looked like he had a mustache just like his daddy.

The joys of childhood can be found in the simplest things.  So can the joys of mommyhood.

No comments: