Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cake Decorating Continued

Crystal and I had a double class last night with our Wilton Course 2.  Unfortunately both of our Royal Icing batches were a bust.  Somewhere along the way we must have touched something that was tainted with grease - a spatula, a container, something and it made our icing break down.  You'd think no big deal, except last night was the night we were to be making all of our flowers for next weeks cake and ours just didn't hold up at all.  We were at least able to practice each style, but they definately were not keepers.  My friend JoAnne's icing was perfect and she made some really beautiful flowers all done in Christmas colors.

Now I have to make a new batch after I wash everything in Dawn with a touch of vinegar just to make sure any and all grease is removed.  Then I have to pray that I remember how to do each flower.  As it was my favorite, the daisy, is the one flower that the teacher couldn't remember how to do correctly so she was going to go home, practice and make enough daisies to provide each of us students with what we need.  Then she'll show us the proper way to make them next week.

I swore this was to be my last class, but my girlfriends are guilting me into continuing because otherwise there won't be enough participants to keep the classes going.  I'm not sure if I'm really enjoying it or not, though I do enjoy the company and the creativity aspect of it.  Oh well I guess only time will tell if I continue on or say enough is enough and that I've learned what I need to know to make Joey's birthday cakes.

No comments: