Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Christmas Tree Hunting We Will Go


This year, due to weather, we did not cut down our own tree, but instead headed off to Mikey's Christmas Tree Lot on Sunrise.  This year I was in search of a Noble Pine, and one that wouldn't take up half of our living room.  We met Chuck and Kelly there at 4:00 and off we went in search of the perfect trees.  This was to be the girls year, we had final say, though of course the men had to have their input.

I kept having Larry pull out trees and set them side by side on the center aisle for comparison.  I'd choose a six, seven, even an eight foot tree to compare and Larry would drag out an additional 10, 11, and 12 foot variety.  Each one was supposedly better than the baby ones that I was choosing.  And Kelly and I kept having to tell them that they were not 'holes' in the trees, but intentional gaps since that was the type of tree I was going for.  I think all in all I must have said 100 times, "that's not a big gaping hole, it's an intentional gap, the way the tree is supposed to be structured".  Each time Larry would chuckle and go off in search of an even bigger tree.


Joey had a ball running around the whole time, in his own personal forest, yellin' Momma come, come, or Daddy here.  He was too cute.

After much deliberation and taking in Larry's input I chose my second favorite, a 7-foot beauty.  The first didn't pass the color test with Larry, and so my first choice went to another good home - Kelli and Chuck's.  We hauled our, and there's in the back of our truck and took first their's to their home and then ours back on home.  I have to admit I had a alterior motive for offering to take their tree for them as I wanted to see Kelli's early Christmas present, a darling little siamese mix kitty.  So I got some kitty cuddles, a quick cup of tea and then we were off towards home.  It made for a nice outing.


We put our tree up the next day, only to have it fall over, again, and again, and again.  Crystal came to our rescue with an appropriately sized tree stand and now we have a beautiful if "baby" tree in our living room and a nice white artificial tree set up in the family room.  Joe's had quite the fun time of it driving me crazy taking the balls off and playing toss with them.  Thank goodness their all plastic at his level.  Now if I could only teach him the right way to hang them back up, but I think that skill is going to have to wait for another year.

No comments: