Monday, January 11, 2010

Bubba's said his final goodbye

I have been so sad this week coming to the realization that I was keeping my Bubba dog alive more for me than for him.  He has been failing in health this past year and let's face it Joe with his youthful enthusiasm has not been easy on him these past few months.  It's been getting harder and harder for him to get around with his hind quarters just completely failing him at times.  After watching him collapse several different times on Thursday morning I decided enough was enough and I wasn't doing him any favors making him live in constant pain and struggle.  Larry and I had known this was coming and had called around to several vets and the SPCA to determine which service was the best for us.  After speaking with the SPCA it was a no brainer.  They seemed the most compassionate, were cost effective, and cared for your pet up until the last moment of his life.

I waited until Larry got home from work, we dropped Joey off at Grammie and Pop Pop's and headed over to the SPCA.  I did my best not to cry on the way over as I'd been crying on and off all day and I didn't want Bubba to sense how upset I really was.  When we got there, Michael helped us through the process and then they allowed us as much time as we wanted before they were to take him back to the exam room, with a long hug and a kiss amongst my tears we said our farewells.  I will miss him dearly.

For those of you who don't know I inherited Bubba 8 years ago when my then boyfriend Ron passed away unexpectedly.  His family asked me if I'd be willing to take him since they couldn't think of a better home than mine for him, especially since they knew I was already in love with the big lug.  I said yes and we've been the closest of companions every since.  He got me through some very difficult times, and I'll always be grateful to him for that.

It was also because of him that I met Larry, while taking him for one of his many evening strolls.  If it weren't for him I wouldn't have Joe, or my hubby.


Bubba I love you and always will.

No comments: