Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cinco de Mayo Celebration

Yesterday Joey and I headed out to Hagen Park to meet up with some of our friends for a Cinco de Mayo celebration.  There were six of us moms and nine kids altogether and we had a really nice time hanging out in the glorious sunshine.

The kids got to do bubbles, play on the playground (the swings being the big hit of the day), play emergency spy games, build mounds with their shovels and buckets out of the tanbark and last but not least, break open the pinata.  It was a string pinata so no bats were involved, but the kids loved taking turns pulling the strings and even after the special string was pulled that released the candy, they still wanted to continue pulling the strings until there were none left attached.  The candy and toys rained down on the ground and it was so cute to watch them want to dive in and get some but each unsure if they were "allowed" so they held back until all us moms hollered "go for it, get some goodies".  It was interesting to watch what they all picked.  Joey went for the suckers and some gum (which I made him put back since he likes to swallow it), then sweeties, and last a boucy ball.  Later it was sweet to watch him offer up his bounty to some of the other kids without any prompting from anyone else.

As for me, I got to see some friends I hadn't seen in quite a while and the opportunity to catch up on what everyone else had been up to.  It was nice to swap stories, share parenting oops and get some sound advice from others who had been exactly where I am now.  I'm so fortunate to have my mommy groups and to be able to create the friendships that I have.

No comments: