Monday, April 27, 2009

March for Babies (formerly March of Dimes)

Well Saturday morning began with blue skies and lots of cars with no parking spaces. It was the day of the March for Babies at our state capitol and I swear there were thousands of folks there bright and early to participate in the festivities.

The walk route was 6 miles in length, 2 miles for the shortcut - unfortunately due to pain I wasn't really up for either. I was just praying for a close parking spot (which I did find thanks to my handicap status)so that I could make it to the registration table to turn in my money and then meet up with my team of walkers to cheer them on at the onset. There were about 10 members on our team plus several little ones and one of the mom's was creative enough to make us personalized shirts.

They had music, food, coffee, and activities for the kids. Plus of course corporate sponsors - every thing from Sacramento Magazine to Mutual Life Insurance and even Larry's employer, Delta Dental. All of them giving away cups or hats or temporary tattoos for the kids. Joe particularly enjoyed the balloons and tattoos and even though we didn't walk he had a lot of fun checking out all the people and the many pets that they brought with them. Some one even brought their Great Dane and St. Bernard - I figured they were their back up plan in case they got too tired, they could ride them to the finish line.

Anyway it was a great day and our team raised just about $1,100.00. Way to go team.

No comments: