Monday, May 4, 2009

Day Care Dilemma's

Well as you know I enrolled Joe in day care one day a week and thus far it hasn't gone that great. He did awesome the first week, the second she called me a few hours in after not being able to console him and not wanting to have him stressed any longer. So we put our heads together and decided that 9:00 to 2:45 was too long for Joey, especially the nap section, so we decided to try 9:00 to 12:30 which is when the kids go down for nap. He did a little better but it was still taking almost two hours before he got into the swing of things and relaxed enough to play with the other kids. That was my main reason for enrolling him. Last week we decided that maybe seven days between visits was too long and so he was having to refamiliarize himself each time to the new environment. A weeks not long in your and my mind, but in a kids world it's forever. So we decided that perhaps it would be best if he came a couple times a week, on Tuesday and Thursday's and see how it went.

Alas it just isn't to be. Miss Joanne left me a voicemail this afternoon saying that Thursday's wont work as she already has a full house that day, did I want to do a Tuesday/Wednesday combo, or she could do Mon/Wed. I guess I could make either of them work, but then she mentions that as Joe is considered a drop-in (meaning he doesn't attend full time) that come August she wouldn't be able to accomodate him any longer since she's taking on two additional full time children.

So my dilemma now is do I ride out the summer, trying two days a week to see if I can get him used to it and/or should I just look for a new provider now since he'd have to make a change come August? I love Miss Joanne's daycare - she's caring, fun, and provides a teaching aspect, but at the same time it's not making sense to me to get him acclimated with her if it's not going to be for the long term. Or do I just call it quits on the idea all together at this time and wait until he's a little older?

I wanted him in daycare to ensure that he had consistent play time with others since it is hit or miss on playdates due to my pain, plus I thought it would be good for me to have a little "me" time as well. Now I'm not sure what to do. If any of you readers out there have suggestions, I'm all ears.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Well for whatever my opinion is worth, I think you continue with him where he is, while being on the hunt for some place you find will nurture him in a similar way. I think it is good for both Joe and you to have a little independence from one another. It encourages and educates him in the world of sharing and experiencing the fun times that two or more children can create together. Equally important is the much needed "you" time that you deserve. I say don't give up! This is a good thing for the both of you.