Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I'm tired and cranky

Okay forget about saying Joe needs a nap, this time I do. I am so worn out - physically, mentally, emotionally. I am still having to hassle with social security to continue receiving my benefits. I am in the process of appealing and had filed my paperwork to continue receiving benefits during the process and last month I got a surprise because they just discontinued benefits, period with no additional communications.

I went down to there offices refiled the paperwork for a second time and was told that they would put a request through to reinstate my benefits until a reconsideration hearing could be scheduled. I thought cool... better late than never. Got my money direct deposited into my checking account a few days later.

About a week after that I get a letter telling me they're sending me a check for the amount owed me (by this time it was already in my account), and that I would be receiving a check each month for $xxx.00. Well that amount was shy a zero so back to the phone I go. On the 16th I finally get through to a live person who puts me on hold forever to research my case. He finally comes back on and tells me it was just a type that I'll be receiving the same amount I always do. No worries, right? Wrong.

I should have received my benefit payment today via direct deposit. Nothing wired. Checks bouncing left and right. I again get on the phne with Social Security, speak with Twan. He tells me that my account is sort of frozen until my appeal is heard. I explain everything I've already gone through, that my benefits were supposed to continue, ya-da, ya-da, ya-da. He again puts me on hold for several minutes. He comes back and tells me my benefits will continue but he's not sure for what amount and it is considered special dispensation so he's not sure when it will be processed for this month, or next. I'm finally fed up and tell him that's not acceptable and I want to speak with a supervisor. He back-pedals and says that maybe there is one more thing he can "look into". I say calmly, "Twan you're not understanding me... I no longer wish to speak with you about this matter, I want to speak to a supervisor as my status as you call it is unacceptable to me and without benefits I could be out on the street. Please pass me through to a supervisor." He again puts me on hold for six more minutes. When he returns he notifies me that he can't locate his supervisor, or his back-up supervisor, perhaps they're in a meeting upstairs. Can he take my name and number and have them return my call? I ask if they'll be returning it today and he replies, "what time is it?" We simutaneously say the time and he tells me that yes they'll return my call today.

It's now after 4:30 pm and I have yet to speak to anyone from SS, let alone a supervisor. Needless to say I am frustrated, stressed out and more than a little tired. This whole process has just make me crazy, or should I say more crazy. Sleeping less, increased flare-ups with my pain, gums bleeding from the increased stress.

After consulting with Larry, I've scheduled an appointment with an attorney to assist me with this process. I just don't have the energy to do it solo and obviously I don't know how the system works since I keep doing everything they request of me, and they don't do anything they state that they'll do on my behalf.

No comments: