Monday, February 9, 2009

Fun in the Snow

Larry and I took Joe on Sunday to experience the joys of snow for the first time. Larry Sr. lent us his 4X4 Jeep (just in case we needed it) and we headed out at 9:00 towards the mountains. I figured we'd hit snow just above Crystal's old dog grooming shop in Pollock Pines, but boy was I wrong. Even though the weather forecasters were calling for snow down to 2,000 feet this past weekend, apparently it hadn't hit yet. We kept driving. After two hours we finally saw the white stuff - SNOW, and not a moment to soon because Joe was getting a little antsy.

We arrived, bought a used ticket for $10, saving ourselves $5 whole bucks - or so we thought. The guy had seen us make the "deal" and wouldn't accept our ticket, so we had to pay him another $15 to get in, making this adventure run us $25. In reality is cost more than that because we stopped at two stores on the way up to the snow looking for sleds and although we didn't find any I did get Joe a new bookcase and a red wagon, as well as a new gazebo for the back yard. I know what you're thinking - that's not snow gear, but a good deal is a good deal and I just couldn't pass them up.

Anyway I digress - so we arrived and get out and start bundling up. I hit the rest rooms and then we dropped another $23 bucks on a sled, two snickers and a bag of cookies for Joe. Finally we start trecking over the first little hill and then we hit the snow payload; five or six different sled runs and one just perfect for beginners. We all head up, up and up and then Joe and I settled in for our first sled ride. I'll admit it, I was a little scared at first. Joe on the othe hand was in it for the thrill. He loved it. He went down a couple times with me, and once with Daddy and then we just played.

We made snow balls and snow angels. Climbed in to drifts that went past my knees and basically had a ball. I ended up soaking wet, Larry ended up with a wet tooshie, and Joe stayed pretty nice and warm except when he took his gloves off and where the snow had packed in at the top of his boots. It was at this point we decided it was time to go. I don't think Joe and Daddy eating the snow helped things along either as that's when Joe began to get chilled and became downright unhappy.

We ended the day by having lunch at St. Pauli's Inn - a great German joint right outside of Kyburz and then headed home so we could all take naps. Joe started his early and slept all the way home in the car.

I think it was one of the best days ever, though today I'm paying the price for over exerting myself and spending too long in the cold. It was totally worth it!

No comments: