Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Cake Decorating I Go

Crystal and I went to our first Wilton Cake Decorating Class this past Monday.  It seems like it's going to be fun, but expensive.  We thought it a great bargain - 40% of the class fee so it only cost $27 and then another 40% off one item - our Course 1 Kit, so it only ended up costing $14... sounds like a bargain, right?  Wrong.  We get in the class and the instructor, Annie, gives us another sheet listing other must haves, about another $75 worth per participant.  I don't know about you, but my money doesn't just grown on trees.  I was trying to justify the $41 dollars that I thought this adventure was going to run and now I learn it will be over $100.  It made me want to sit on the floor and cry.

Crystal came to my rescue offfering to buy my supplies for my Christmas present.  A very generous Christmas present.  I was grateful, but at the same time humiliated that I couldn't afford to provide my own supplies.  What had started out as such a fun adventure with my sister now seemed like a burden with little joy left in it.

Crystal again came to the rescue today, baking her first cake to practice on, leaving me in hysterical laughter at her 1-hour updates.  According to her it wasn't near as easy icing the cake without getting crumbs as Annie had indicated.  She said that it looked like a speckled cake by the time she was done with the thin icing coat no matter how hard she tried.  As we all know she's a Virgo, and a perfectionist so I'm sure it's not as bad as she thinks.  What had me really laughing was her comment that her cake didn't even look like the ones in our instruction manual.  Now technically we haven't even attempted anything, that's this coming Monday, so far we've only watched the instructor make icing in several consistencies and ice a 6-inch cake and yet my sister, God love her, thinks she should be able to produce a near perfect decorated cake.  You just gotta love that kind of enthusiasm.

I'm waiting with baited breath to see the photo of the finished product.  If it turns out well enough, which I'm sure it will be, she's going to take it to work for one of her co-workers birthdays tomorrow.  Yum.

No comments: