Saturday, September 12, 2009

Puppies, Puppies Everywhere

Larry, Joe and I went to check out a breeder today for Miniature Australian Shepherds. Crystal had turned me on to him as he is one of her grooming clients. There were about 10 puppies there - he had bred both of his female dogs aiming for a total of eight pups and instead ended up with a total of 15 since one of them gave birth to 10 and the other 5. Anyway he had an equal bunch of Blue Merle and Tri Merle's and one red... all of them were beautiful.

I fell in love with two, a little girl named Martha and a boy named Adam. Larry was drawn to one of the other males and Joey loved them all. They kept jumping all over him, knocking him down and climbing all over him. This would have been just fine but they had sharp little nails, and teeth, and so when they'd get to be to much for him he'd start yelling for Momma. One puppy in particular, that had already been selected by another family and in fact will be going home to them tomorrow, took a real liking to Joey. They ran after one another and Joey kept throwing toys for him. That pup would just grab on to the bottom of his shorts or his t-shirt and off they'd go - Joe running ad full speed and Kona just dragging along, bouncing up and down off the dirt, but never letting go. It was priceless. I wish I'd had my camera with me so that I could have gotten a video, but wouldn't you know I forgot it at home.

Anyway I seriously want to get one, but not now as it's just not in the budget. He breeds about once every 12-18 months, so perhaps I'll get to bring one of the little guys home with me from the next litter. Plus that will give me time to save up as they're bread from champion lines and run on average $900-1200. I know you all are thinking - whoa that's a lot of money, and your right but it's the perfect breed for my physical needs as well as our family, and it's the perfect size and temperament for me to turn him or her into a therapy dog which has long been a dream of mine.

Anyway, Sis thanks for referring me to Ben and Steve as they were great and their dogs are just what I've been looking for.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

You are so welcome, maybe in the near future we can get litter mates and raise them together! Wouldn't that be a blast? Too flippin' cute for words!!

Malana said...

That would be awesome. Now I just have to convince Larry (lol).