Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Big Boy Bed Time


Gosh it's been a long night and it's only midnight. We decided to donate Joey's crib to UCP tonight and as the pickup for donations is scheduled tomorrow, Larry took it down and we reassembled it outside. Me waffling the whole time. Larry saying no this is the perfect time and it's going to charity. He knows that will get me. (As it turns out one of our neighbors God-daughter is about to be a single mom, due in Oct, with absolutely nothing so we ended up loading up his truck with the crib, stroller, and playpen - still a good cause).


So we made a big production out of it, had Joey help Daddy take it out of his room and he seemed excited to get in his big boy bed until we mentioned that it was actually time to go night night. I won't go into all the details, but let's just say our son can be very dramatic when he chooses. He pulled my heart strings, Daddy's heart strings, even Grandma's heartstrings by busting out of his room and crawling in to her bed, with tears in his eyes. Larry and I took turns trying to calm him and finally had to put a baby gate across the door and let it ride out. Several hours later he was in bed, blanket over his head, sleeping fitfully.


When I checked in on him at 10:30 I found him sleeping on the floor next to the bed with his blanket and Miss Piggy. I picked him up, changed his diaper, and tucked him back in to bed. He slept through it all.


I'm not sure if this change in routine is harder on me or Joey. I feel like I'm losing my baby. Larry of course thinks its awesome, natural progression, ya da, ya da, ya da. Sometimes I think he has no heart when it comes to these matters. He just can't wait for the day when Joey can play ball with him and ride motorcycles and I'll I can think about is how much longer will he want to hang by my side, cuddle, share his snack with me and Bubba.

Parenting is turning out to be the most joyful thing in my life, but also the hardest thing in my life. I love him so much, more than I ever thought it possible to love anything.

1 comment:

April J. said...

I couldn't agree more. These babies are growing too fast!